Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I'll learn how to talk again.

The photo on top shows my natural bite/jaw alignment as of November 2005 (I didn't start braces until February 2006). The photo below shows my bite today. See how the lower jaw has been pushed back to create an optimal overjet? One of the things I've learned from fellow orthognathic surgery patients is that there's a misconception out there thinking this is a cosmetic surgery. It is not. Gosh I hope I won't have to explain to my friends and colleagues that no, I didn't take weeks off to get plastic surgery. But, que sera, sera. *I* know why I did it. Words that start with the letters "d", or "s", or "t" (think "two", "delta", etc.), used to be problematic for me, and I compensated with tongue thrusting. I imagine a speech therapist would be helpful since I'll need to learn how to talk the right way. Recommendations, anyone?

1 comment:

Erin said...

That's so awesome! What a difference. I really look forward to the day where my top teeth come over my bottoms!