Monday, February 05, 2007

Breathing Through A Wet Sponge

This has been such a long, long night. I'd fall asleep from absolute exhaustion, only to wake up from my ever-diminishing breathing capacities. Jaw "wired" (rubber-banded), with a serious nasal congestion. It's one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. It's as if your world is closing in.... and you're trapped in the middle with less and less oxygen.... and the light just dims. I feel this cloud of congestion hoovering right up in my sinus, between my eyebrows. It's like - breathing through a wet sponge.

The nurses had suggested to sleep with my head elevated to help reduce the swelling in my face. I've "slept" all night sitting up in my bed, with lots of pillows propped up behind my back. It's not exactly pleasant, and while it didn't promote the swelling, it didn't reduce it much, either. Off I go to get more ice packs from the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was your lower jaw moved forward or back? My son is having double jaw surgery this summer and has some of the same issues you had. Thanks.