Monday, December 03, 2007

The Shopping Diet

A friend of mine told me about the "shopping diet". No, you don't lose weight as a result. You lose the clutter and save money instead. How?

The shopping diet means you refrain from buying anything that will take up space. Food is, of course, allowed.

As I scramble to load up on crap for Christmas, the shopping diet has started to sound better and better. In the past month alone I've bought:
  • A pair of earrings
  • A necklace
  • A cashmere blanket
  • A cocktail dress
  • Two DVDs
  • A goose-down puffer jacket
  • Two candles
  • A jar of lotion
  • Two lip glosses
  • A jacket

Sure, some are gifts. But the rest ARE for me. Now looking back, I'm thinking - wait a minute! Life was good BEFORE I bought these things, and it's no better AFTER. Why did I buy these? Grrrrr.

How can you go far if you don't travel light?

Got you thinking? Read about someone who did go on the shopping diet, for 365 days. Maybe I'll follow in her footsteps.

No comments: