Monday, December 10, 2007

Merry Christmas

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas....

No, really, I am. I'm going to spend it in New York. Which, to a Californian who grew up in Beijing, with an unfortunate pitstop in Texas, feels like homecoming.

This has been an eventful, wonderful year. Summer trip to Europe. Successful jaw surgery. Satisfying new job with smart, friendly colleagues. Moving in with a man that I love - no, not THAT - one of my closest friends who happens to be gay, that is.

It's not all peachy, of course. Some health woes (not related to the jaw surgery). A break up. Nothing devastating, though. Which makes me think - a break up that isn't devastating is perhaps in itself devastating. Know what I mean? After all, I want something that MATTERS - don't you?

All in all, a wonderful year. It feels good to be comfortable in my own skin, with my own choices in life - and, dare I say, MORE than just feeling comfortable - but actually thriving.... and loving every minute of it, for the good AND the bad.

Christmas is still two weeks away - but for the first time, I feel ready.... and ahead of the game. Presents purchased and wrapped. Cards mailed. You can say the holidays have been tinted by commercialization, but I rather enjoy the spirit of the season: the warm and fuzzy, the giving, the gratitude and the thoughtfulness of it all.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hey Kristen, Happy Holidays, hope you enjoy New York! Mary