Saturday, January 27, 2007

Tick, Tock

My surgery is coming up in 5 days.

It's scheduled for Wednesday, January 31st.

Friends and colleagues ask me if I feel nervous. I don't. My surgeon is the one that should feel nervous! :)

All jokes aside, I trust Dr. Li. He's obviously very experienced, and more importantly, very thorough. I like doctors that don't take chances!

For those of you out there going through the same thing, here's what to expect:
  • NO painkillers for 10 days before the surgery, except Tylenol. You don't want to thin out your blood.
  • NO food or drinks for 12 hours leading up to the surgery. Nothing in your stomach, nothing to throw up.
  • Ice ice baby. ICE your face as you recover. It helps keep the swelling down.
  • No, they don't wire your jaw shut anymore. Instead, they just put rubber bands between your upper and lower teeth to help "cradle" your jaw.
  • The recovery period is 4 to 6 weeks, with weekly visits to your surgeon.
  • Buy lots of straws! Liquid diet, doctor's orders. ; )
  • Up your Netflix subscription. Heck, when else are you going to have this much time to watch movies?

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Forget the straws! NOT recommended.